Sunday, May 31, 2009

BBA #4: Brioche

I finally cut this loaf open at 1 AM last night. I still haven't learned the don't start bread past 5 PM rule. Maybe it was a good thing, if I wasn't half asleep, perhaps the vast amounts of butter in this bread would've bothered me. I chose to make the Middle Class Brioche version, cuz I'm pretty middle class through and through.


Since it was so late, I don't remember a lot about the process. I was drinking a great Malbec. The bread didn't rise much. The house smelled great. My hubby thought it was pound cake. I regret doing two loaves, rather than a fun shape. And my loaves came out not quite right, shape-wise. I'll try to piece together more and get back to you.


What I do remember is that the brioche made a great breakfast, topped with homemade strawberry jam. I think I'll make a pineapple vanilla sauce to serve with it for dessert tonight, yum.

6 comments:

Sara said...

brioche is always a win. it is a dangerous thing to have around my house, too good to resist.

Susie said...

I think your loaves look great.
I loved it as toast but that is all. I don't think I would make this recipe again though. I did the rich.
Great job,
Susie

Nico said...

very nice, looks beautiful. I made middle class brioche.

Cindy said...

The loaves look great. But I agree the round fluted molds are pretty. Dessert tonight sounds yummy. I love that you drink wine and bake!!

nick said...

Looks like it came out great for you. A while back we taste tested 3 premiere brioche recipes side by side, Thomas Keller's from French Laundry Cookbook, Piere Herme's (insert Frenchie title of book) and the renowned baker/blogger Joe, of http://www.joepastry.com. Delicious results here:

http://www.imafoodblog.com/index.php/2009/02/05/pierre-herme-thomas-keller-joepastry-com

Unfortunately (or fortuantely depending on how you look at it) we didn't just eat ours with jam. I believe we made multiple batches of cinnamon rolls and I'm pretty sure I poached a sausage and then baked it inside one loaf. YUM!

Mary said...

Wow..I have brioche envy..I have never made that myself..I will have to give it a try...

Did you eat? You eat now!