Sunday, May 31, 2009

BBA #3: Bagels


My father-in-law turns 88 next week. His favorite joke goes something like, "What's a yiddish word that starts with A? A bagel!" He retired from the City of New York Sanitation Department after 32 years, 31 years of which he played saxophone in the NYC Sanitation Department Marching Band. In the early 70's Mayor Lindsay trimmed the fat and disbanded said band, depriving future generations of the joys of civil servant music and prompting a bunch of ol' fellas to retire grumpily. Lousy bagels are just one of the things my father-in-law is still grumpy about, so Frankie, this one's for you! A bagel!


The bagels were not too difficult to make, and did come out wonderfully, with a soft chewy middle and a slightly crunchy exterior skin. I kneaded the dough by hand, giving props all the way to past village bagel makers and their invincible arm muscles. Geez! 17 minutes and I'm sore as hell today. In hindsight though, it was cool to feel the dough change in my hands, and finally reach that satiny texture. After 15 minutes of struggling, I think I developed a kneading rhythm, so maybe it will be easier next time. Another fun and delicious bread baking experience, thanks to the BBA Challenge. I know it sounds rote, but I really never would've thought to make bagels myself. I think I might trot this recipe out a few times a year, if it's a three day weekend, or if I happen to get my hands on some good lox.

Or maybe it can be an annual birthday treat for Frank, of which I hope to celebrate many more.

3 comments:

Sean said...

Hey if they (ask you said in your groups post) they were better tasting than Einstein Bros. If they weren't as good looking then that is what you will have to work on. Anything made by hand has got to taste better than something you bought.

Susie said...

Great story about your Father In Law.
Your bagels look great.
Susie

Nico said...

They look great!!! I hoe the tasted as good as they look!!
nico

Did you eat? You eat now!