Recently I've been reading Alice Waters' The Art of Simple Food. I usually prefer cookbooks with lots of pretty color pictures, but this book has drawn me in with more content and background, rather than primarily recipes. As a relatively new cook, I figured I should start with the basics, and this hasn't disappointed. I'm trying to learn techniques instead of duplicating recipes, and I'm going to post as I go this month (I'll paraphrase the recipes since I'm not sure on copyright stuff, and it'll help me remember anyway).
Veggie Gratin
2 cups chopped veggies (I used a head of cauliflower and some broccoli)
1 1/2 T flour
2 T butter
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup blanching liquid
1/2 cup grated parmesean
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
pinch of cayenne
pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
Preheat oven the 375. Blanch veggies for about 5 minutes in boiling water and drain. Don't forget to reserve some of the liquid (but I usually do and just sub in water or more milk). Butter a pieplate or baking dish and dump in the veggies. Make a roux by first melting butter in a heavy saucepan, and then adding the flour. Cook on medium for about 5 minutes and then slowly whisk in milk and liquid, letting the flour absorb each batch before adding more. Bring to a boil and then lower to a low low simmer for 10 minutes or so. Melt in the grated Parm and pour sauce over veggies. Top with breadcrumbs and bake for about 20 minutes or until brown on top. Good for 2 people as a main dish or 4 as a side.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Did you eat? You eat now!
No comments:
Post a Comment