The nice lady at the counter let me sample almost all of their flavors. I was feeling guilty until she compared herself to a crack dealer, and said that is how they hook lifelong customers. Smart. I tried Lychee Tarragon, Basil Lime, Coconut, Salted Caramel, Canteloupe, Watermelon, Gorgonzola, Mango Lassi, and more that I can't remember.
Then I went home and whipped out the ice cream maker! Since I have to share with the rest of the fam, I've limited my experimental herbal flavors, but now that they're hooked, I'm going to start sneaking in some fun stuff. My basic recipe is: mix a bunch of fruit and simple syrup, puree in blender if necessary, and freeze in ice cream maker. So far I've done Mango Lime, Strawberry Peach, and my fave, Toasted Coconut . I'm toying with Cucumber Mint, Canteloupe Yogurt, and something involving Chambord or Frangelico. There's still 3 more months of summer to go, we'll see what I come up with... Incidentally, if you don't own an ice cream maker, I highly recommend getting one. They are usually easy to find at yard sales:)
Toasted Coconut Sorbet
1 14 oz can coconut milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp rum
1/4 cup shredded coconut
Make a simple syrup by boiling together sugar and water. Remove from heat and whisk in coconut milk and rum. Let cool in fridge. Meanwhile, toast coconut in a dry pan, or under the broiler. If you still have some time, do a couple shots of rum.
When coco mixture is cool, freeze in an ice cream maker, adding in shredded coconut in the last 5 minutes of mixing. In my KA attachment, it takes 20 minutes on STIR (1), then I add in the shreds and keep mixing for another 5 minutes. You are then supposed to put it in the freezer for a couple hours but I can never wait that long, so mine comes out soft, as pictured. Boo, patience.
3 comments:
They are easy to find at yard sales - I guess most people buy them/get them as gifts and then never use them which sounds ludicrous to me!
Do you always eat it all righ away or do you store it in the freezer at all? Does it just turn to a block of ice when you freeze it or does it keep OK? Inquiring mids want to know (remember those commercials?!) ?
hmmm...that looks delightful! do you have the ice cream attachment for the kitchen aid or is it separate?
Post a Comment