The biga begins with flour, yeast and water, kneaded lightly and let to rise overnight. Then the next day more flour, yeast, salt, and water(or whole milk or buttermilk, and I subbed buttermilk) is added, and the serious kneading begins. This is a very wet, sticky, messy dough, so I called in my mom for backup but she needed a little boost to reach my countertops:)
Once the dough reaches the tacky but not sticky stage, you stretch it out, and then fold it over itself, let it rest for 30 minutes, and repeat. I found this video on YouTube about stretching and folding. The dough is then divided and set up in a couche to proof. I am couche-less, so I used parchment paper, and scooched them up against each other. The dough is pulled one last time before baking, then put in the oven for about 15-20 minutes total, until it reaches an internal temp of 205. The hardest part is waiting an hour for everything to cool, as usual.
My final product was pretty, pretty, pretty good (channeling Larry David). The taste was great, very flavorful, and I liked the openish crumb pattern. My loaves were a little softer than I'm familiar with ciabatta being, I think because I used buttermilk instead of water. It was a good deal of work though, and we ate one whole loaf for breakfast, and another the next day for dinner, so next time I think I'll double or 1 1/2 the recipe to make it completely worth all the trouble.
7 comments:
VERY nice!
I also loved the taste of this bread.
Great baking along with you,
Susie
Looks great! Your crumb and hole structure are just what I'm hoping for.
Beautiful crumb! Wow! Excellent job.
AJM -
I read your tweet about being a fan of VRBO and vacation rentals. Because of this, I thought you would be interested in something HomeAway's (sister site of VRBO) new “Save Our Summer Vacation” contest. People are invited to submit entries on why they are most deserving of a vacation. The winner will receive a $10,000 grand prize getaway and two runners-up will each receive a $5,000 getaway. HomeAway is also asking people to sign a petition to Congress proclaiming August 7 a National Vacation Day. Visit www.saveoursummervacation.com to find out more.
Last year's winner, Emmy O'Dwyer (mother of three), won with 677 total votes for her heartfelt blog about her family.
Deadline to enter is July 2
i can't decide which photo i like better - the beautiful hole structure or the photo of you baking...i love it!
Your ciabatta is gorgeous! You got those nice big holes. I made this with leftover poolish from one of the earlier recipes (artos, maybe?) and thought it was wonderful, but I had tiny holes. I'm going to try to get bigger once when I make this again. I've heard wet dough helps! Good tip on doubling the recipe - if we're going to do the work, might as well have a couple of loaves in the freezer to show for it!
You did a beautiful job on this!
Nicely done...the holes look perfect. Congrats!
Post a Comment