It's May 10th. In Arizona, that means peach season is halfway over. Insane, believe me, I know. However, as I have chosen to live here, I should be able to adapt to the seasons, so yesterday I woke up at 7:00 and BEFORE EVEN ONE CUP of coffee I was in an orchard elbowing mean Korean ladies out of my way, jockeying for dappled red Earligrande beauties. Lucky for me, I am taller than the average bear, because while I thought I loved peaches and would do anything to get some juicy, ripe supermarket-impossible goodness, the crowd at 7:30 was out for blood.
I came home with 9 pounds of peaches, promptly ate 7 in two hours, and figured it was time for some baking. I wanted to keep it simple and not get in the way of my amazing ingredients, so I opted for that minimalist American classic, peach cobbler. Paired with some homemade vanilla ice cream, it made a delicious Mother's Day dessert.
Peach Cobbler
6 perfect peaches, peeled and sliced into thin wedges
1/4 cup brown sugar
sprinkle cinammon
sprinkle nutmeg
1 tbsp cornstarch
Combine in a 8X8" baking dish and bake at 425 for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the topping:
1 cup flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
3/4 stick butter
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 buttermilk
Combine all ingredients and cut butter into the dry ingredients using 2 knives, or a mini food processor (the quantities fit perfectly). When peaches are done, carefully spatula topping onto the fruit and bake another 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve hot, with vanilla ice cream, or whipped cream.
5 comments:
Yum! And kudos to you for getting up so early in the name of fresh picked fruit :)I don't know if I have that in me.
i LOVE peaches, too and nothing is better than warm peaches and vanilla ice cream. i want some!
Them there's some good lookin' peaches!
Love the title, to btw. I just heard that song for the first time in years yesterday.
Awesome. This would be great to make if we ever get good peaches around here. :)
Susie in northern NY
I'm doing a post on peach recipes on Friday fora blog that I work for and am linking to a bunch of different blogger posts. I'll be linking to this and you can see it on Friday morning here http://oldtips.blogspot.com/ Thanks!
Post a Comment