For this week's recipe I acheived a new level of not following the directions. I swapped the main ingredient, the breading, the sauce, and the cooking method. I know, geez!
I guess I interpret these things like a Choose Your Own Adventure book. Remember those? I just want to go to page 297 to have our heroine choose tofu instead of flounder. So here's what I did, follow along, and remember, if it's not going well, only YOU control the adventure!
The original recipe can be found online here.
Crispy Tofu Fingers
oh-so-loosely adapted from Ellie Krieger
1 package extra-firm tofu
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
salt and pepper
1 tsp cumin
2 eggs, beaten
Press tofu by wrapping it in paper towels and placing something heavy atop (like a cutting board). Let sit for 10 minutes. Season the flour with salt and pepper and cumin and prepare 3 bowls, one for flour mixture, one for panko, and one for egg. Cut tofu into slices, and dip each slice into flour, then egg, then panko. Place on a cooking rack that has been well sprayed with cooking oil. Bake at 400 for 10 minutes, spray with cooking oil and put under the broiler for 2 minutes on each side to brown. Season with salt and pepper immediately out of the oven.
I took Ellie's sauce and spiced it up using some chipotles, rounded out
1/3 cup lowfat plain yogurt
1 chipotle in adobo
1 tbsp lemon juice
salt and pepper
Combine everything in a food processor and blend. Serve tofu fingers with a generous heap of sauce and a nice cold beer!
6 comments:
I am really not a fan of tofu, but this does look good. I love the adaptations, I think that is part of the point of these cooking groups. Great job!
This looks really great!
I took your swap everything to a new level and did a completely different recipe! I got the chicken fingers and fish fingers mixed up. Oh well -- it gives everyone something new to think about.
I wouldn't have thought of tofu.
Good idea.
i make that yogurt and chipotle combo all the time! great minds think alike, i guess. it makes a great salad dressing for a southwest salad and is awesome on fish tacos. i've never had it on tofu, but i'm gonna try it!
Tofu! What a great idea! I didn't make this recipe, but your version really does look tasty!
Oh how I wish I had read your post before making mine! This would be great with tofu, and I love that you added chipotle to the sauce!
Post a Comment