Anyway, this dish was a HUGE success all around. We literally licked our plates clean. Hubby loved it because it's a familiar classic, and I loved it because it had big, bold, unexpected flavors. Whoever first thought to pair spicy, vinegary hot sauce with blue cheese was a frickin' genius. And unlike the original, this version balanced out the richness, by cutting out the deep frying and incorporating some fresh flavors and crunch in the salad and extra veggies.
I made a couple changes to the original recipe, which you can find online here, but voila, my version:
Buffalo Chicken Salad
adapted from The Food You Crave, by Ellie Krieger
1/3 cup Frank's Red Hot sauce
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 head butter lettuce
1 carrot, thinly sliced or coarsely shredded
3 stalks celery, cut in 1 inch pieces
3 scallions, green parts only
2 cups Blue Cheese Dressing
Pound chicken breasts to 1/2 inch thickness and cut into 3 inch strips, similar to a chicken tender size. Or use tenders. Put chicken in a big ziploc bag, add hot sauce and olive oil, smush to combine and let marinate for 10-15 minutes. Preheat broiler to high, and then broil chicken for 5-6 minutes, flipping once. Prepare salad by tearing lettuce into bite sized pieces and tossing with carrots, celery and scallions. Top salad with chicken and dressing, and prepare to be blown away!
Thank you so much to, oh wait, I picked this recipe out, so good work, self! Stop by the Craving Ellie in My Belly website to see how the rest of the group did, and if you're interested in cooking a new healthy recipe with a bunch of fun people every week, new members are always invited!
7 comments:
Great pick!! I really enjoyed this salad although I was a bit sceptical about combining the hot sauce with the blue cheese dressing.....
We loved the recipe. Great pick. My post will be up tomorrow (Thurs.) morning.
I like the look of your favorite dressing. That sounds like something I want to try.
We loved this recipe! Thanks for choosing it. It's so easy that I can definitely see me making this once a week for lunches. Great choice!
I loved this recipe too! Thank you so much for choosing it this week! It was so easy to make and very flavorful! I will definitely be making it again!
Looks fabulous. Great choice, everyone seems to have really loved it!
This was an awesome pick. One of my favorite things to come out of this book so far. Good job!
PS I'd try smoked lung, but you have to buy in case I hate it! :)
Thanks for choosing this. Great pick. We enjoyed it.
Post a Comment