Sunday, March 29, 2009

Eat your heart out, Pinkberry!


I love my neighbors. Today, on the way to the mailbox, I was offered 3 giant grocery bags full of Ruby Red grapefruits. I accepted, of course, and now I'm figuring out how to burn through all of them before we go on vacation next weekend.

A little googling and I found something intriguing on epicurious: Lemon-Buttermilk Sorbet. I made some substitutions based on my fridge contents and the aforementioned Rubies and the sorbet/froyo/whatever you want to call it came out amazingly delicious. It was floral, tangy, creamy, but still light enough on the tongue so as to be refreshing. Too bad citrus season doesn't overlap the summer months, but I suppose that's where my freezer comes in handy.

Grapefruit Buttermilk Sorbet
adapted from Bon Appetit, June 2001

2/3 cup sugar (add a little more if you don't like things tangy)
2 cups buttermilk
1 cup plain greek style yogurt
1/2 cup grapefruit juice
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp grapefruit zest

Combine everything and whisk until sugar is dissolved. Chill for a couple hours in the fridge and then add to your ice cream maker to churn. Makes about 1 quart.

P.S. If you don't have an ice cream maker, put it on your thrift store/TJ Maxx sale rack list. They are pretty cheap and definitely worth the storage space.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

wow...that looks awesome. you are becoming quite the chef, i must say.

Did you eat? You eat now!