Friday, February 6, 2009

Red Lentil Stew w/ Caramelized Onions

From my Chow Cookbook of the Month review.

Red Lentil Stew with Caramelized Onions
Adapted from A New Way to Cook by Sally Schneider

Saute 1 thinly sliced onion, 2 bay leaves, cayenne and a cinammon stick for a few minutes, then add minced ginger and garlic, then 2 cups red lentils. Add 2 cups chicken broth and 2 cups water, bring to a boil, lower to a simmer, squeeze in the juice of 1 lemon, then toss in the used lemon halves and 1 more cup broth. Simmer for 40 minutes, adding more water if necessary. Meanwhile, caramelize 2 sliced onions to be used as topping later.

This was ok, but I probably wouldn't make it again as written. First of all, it had a slightly bitter taste, which I think was due to the lemon halves being thrown in, pith and all. Next time I'd slice off the zest and only include that.


Next time I'd also up the spices, maybe using garam masala, or cumin and coriander...? As is, it was slightly spicy from the cayenne, with a hint of exotic cinammon, but still wanting for more.

The caramelized onions were the best part, but once those were gone, it was kind of blah. I served it with yogurt dill sauce and pita.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

wow...that looks gorgeous (especially with those yummy sounding onions on top)! i wish we could have each other over for dinner...I miss you!

Did you eat? You eat now!