I recently went home for Spring Break and reunited with Lil Bro and Big Momma, and all we did was cook, cook, cook, and eat, eat, eat. Also some drinking. Some of the highlights were Tom Yum soup, beef kebobs, and tzatziki, some of the misses were baba ghanoush (it came out way weird) and the Piratz Tavern. I don't have pictures of anything because I forgot my camera, sorry.
Tom Yum Soup
2 quarts chicken broth
2 stalks lemongrass, sliced
5 lime leaves
1 hunk galangal or ginger, peeled
2 serranos, halved
2 tablespoons fish sauce, plus more to taste
1 teaspoon honey
1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 pound shrimp, peeled but tails on
juice of 2 limes
1 tablespoon lime zest
2 scallions, chopped
1 handful cilantro
sriracha to taste
soy sauce to taste
Bring stock to boil, throw in lime leaves, lemongrass, galangal and serranos, cover, lower to a simmer and cook for about 15-20 minutes. Keep tasting to check on spiciness - I removed the serranos after about 10 minutes because I am a spicy wimp. Add fish sauce, lime zest, honey, and mushrooms, simmer for 5 minutes. Add shrimp and cook for about 5 more minutes, or until they turn pink. Fish out the galangal, lemongrass, lime leaves, and chiles, and pour in the lime juice, cilantro and scallions. Taste and add more fish sauce, lime juice, honey, soy sauce, and sriracha to taste, until it is a perfect blend of sweet, sour, salty, and spicy goodness. Serve with rice.
Next time I'm going to add some chicken in too, we'll see how that goes. Also, this is not by any means an authentic recipe. I don't know if I even spelled it right. But it's good!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Did you eat? You eat now!
1 comment:
Greeat reading your blog
Post a Comment