Monday, February 25, 2008

I made stock


I made stock. The thing about stock is that, while it takes 5 hours and makes you feel like a resourceful pioneer woman, and/or classically trained fancy pants chef, it's pretty boring, especially via blog. Not sure if I should even bother with a recipe??

2 chicken carcasses, including gizzards
couple onions and carrots, cut in half if you want
all the parsley stems you can find
fennel stalks, just cuz I had them, or celery
S&P
bay leaves
peppercorns
garlic cloves
Boil the hell out of the carcasses, skimming the foamy scum that collects(I googled it, it's protein and gelatin and impurities that will make the stock cloudy and funny tasting later. I always try my best but get bored and annoyed after 20 minutes). Once the scum tide subsides, throw in veggies and everything else and lower to a barely bubbling simmer for 3-4 hours or until you have to leave the house. Strain, let sit, skim the separated fat/weird gelatin stuff from the top and then make the best chicken noodle soup ever.

No comments:

Did you eat? You eat now!