Tuesday, July 28, 2009

No-cook cooking

I know, I know, I know. It is not original or interesting to complain about the Arizona summer heat. But, it's been 115 the last three days, which means when I get in my car, it's at least 150. They sous-vide stuff on Top Chef at 140 degrees. I am literally cooking! Myself!
Enough about the heat, more about the food. My mom is worried that my lack of posts means I am eating Chinese and Chipotle take out every night. Well, not every night, but yes, there is a fair amount of restaurant food lately, but of course I'm still cooking. I wanted to mention my two favorite no-cook meals, Fattoosh and Black Bean Corn Salad. There are lots of fattoosh variations, but I like this one by Ana Sortun. I serve the Fattoosh with store bought sides like hummus, dolmas, olives, and feta and the Black Bean Salad with chips, cheese and salsa or rotisserie chicken from Safeway. Voila, a well balanced meal with zero heat output.


Black Bean Corn Salad

1 can black beans
2-3 ears corn, kernels chopped off
1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1 jalapeno, finely minced
1 large mild chile, such as pasilla, poblano, bell, or anaheim, diced
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup red onion, diced
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp honey
juice of 1 lime
salt and pepper

Combine everything and toss. You can add paprika, cumin, cayenne, ground ancho chiles, or whatever your favorite spice is to jazz it up.

2 comments:

sara said...

Both sound great. I suppose I wouldn't want to toil over a stove at those AZ temperatures either!

Do you actually use sumac? I have never seen it before. What does it taste like?

Unknown said...

Sumac has a slightly lemony tangy flavor, and it turns things slightly yellow, like turmeric. It's good sprinkled over raw red onions, as a side dish for grilled meat.

Did you eat? You eat now!