Thursday, April 23, 2009

Ellie's Balsamic Chicken with (Baby Spinach) and Couscous

Well, after a much needed and much enjoyed Caribbean holiday, I am back to work, ugh, and back in the kitchen, yay. This week's CEiMB dish was Balsamic Chicken with Baby Spinach and Couscous, as chosen by Culinary Delights.

I love couscous and spinach but the rest of the fam doesn't, so I negotiated to keep the couscous but swap the spinach for broccoli. It's all about compromise, right? We liked this dish as a quick, everyday weeknight dinner, a slight departure from the rest of my boneless, skinless chicken breast repertoire, and will probably make it again eventually. A solid 3 out of 5 stars, with extra points for being on the table in 15 minutes.

I served it with a nice goat cheese and green salad, and lots of homemade bread. Next time I think I'll top the dish itself with crumbled goat cheese, for that last extra kick fo flavor. You can find Ellie's original recipe here, or follow along with the changes I made instead:

Balsamic Chicken with Broccoli and Whole Wheat Couscous
adapted from The Food You Crave by Ellie Krieger

2 Tbsp olive oil
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
3 cloves garlic, sliced (not minced, it will burn!)
1 head broccoli, broken into florets
1/3 cup chicken broth
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 cup chopped tomatoes, fresh or canned with juice
1 1/2 cups whole wheat couscous, cooked
1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese

Microwave broccoli florets on high for 2-3 minutes to parcook, set aside. Saute garlic on medium high in a 12 inch skillet briefly to flavor oil, 2 min, and remove to plate. Make it a big plate because pretty much everything's going to end up here. Add chicken to pan, with a little extra olive oil if necessary. Cook for 4 minutes on each side, or until cooked through, and remove to plate with garlic. Add precooked broccoli to pan and saute 2 minutes or so, and remove to plate. Add chicken broth, vinegar, tomatoes and red pepper flakes and bring to a boil, then turn down to medium low. Dump contents of The Plate (garlic, chicken and broccoli) back to the skillet, and cook for another 2-3 minutes to combine flavors, tasting and seasoning as you go. Serve over couscous, and crumble goat cheese over the top if so desired!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh.. I adore goat cheese. Wish I had thought of that. Good post.

Sara said...

Looks great! Your broccoli looks delicious, I prefer it over spinach too. The goat cheese sounds like a great idea.

JLJ said...

I love your creative twist too, your side salad sounds like a great compliment to the meal.

nick said...

I also prefer broccoli over spinach. Stupid Popeye. Come to think of it, some broccolini probably would be perfect for this dish.

Any who, how much does it suck coming back to real life after a vacation? Especially a beach vacation...

Anonymous said...

I wish I had used broccoli - that looks so good!

Did you eat? You eat now!