Friday, March 6, 2009

Ellie's Sesame Stir-Fried Chinese Greens

This week's CEimB recipe is a simple Asian inspired side dish. My stir fry tendencies are spicy and sweet, so this was a different spin on a favorite technique and ingredient. Without all the chile, garlic and ginger, the flavor of the bok choy really came through, highlighted by the tangy vinegar and nutty sesame. I served it alongside one of my usual chicken stir frys, next time I think I'll pair it with a simple fish dish. I made a few changes to the recipe as written, by using olive oil instead of canola, tamari instead of low sodium soy, and grown-up bok choy as opposed to baby.


Sesame Stir-Fried Chinese Greens
adapted from The Food You Crave, by Ellie Krieger

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 bunch bok choy, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 tablespoons tamari
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

Preheat your wok for a while til it gets piping hot, and add the oil. When shimmering, add the bok choy whites and stir-fry for a couple minutes until soft, then add in the greens. Add the tamari, vinegar, and sesame oil, cook another minute or so, then remove from heat and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds. My seeds were the Japanese pre-toasted variety, but if yours are the pale raw ones, toast first in a dry pan.

I look forward to cooking along with the CEimB group, and check out the blogroll to see how everyone else fared. Thanks to Apple Crumbles for picking this recipe, and tune in every Thursday (or Friday cuz I'm always late) for more healthy Ellie recipes.

No comments:

Did you eat? You eat now!