Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Ellie's Fish Tacos with Chipotle Cream

This week's Ellie Kreiger pick was Fish Tacos with Chipotle Cream, as chosen by Imafoodblog. Check out the CEimB blogroll to see how the rest of our little group did.

They were...not bad. Nothing like the ones I've had in San Diego, but still good, especially given how low fat and healthy they are. The chipotle cream was very tasty, and I'm sure I'll use it again in another dish, so I'm glad to have given this a go.

Along with the cream, I topped the tacos with diced bell pepper, caramelized onions, and my favorite avocado-tomatillo salsa, rather than the cabbage and corn the recipe calls for. Oh, I used whole wheat tortillas as well. Here's the skinny on my version:


Fish Tacos with Chipotle Cream
adapted from The Food You Crave, by Ellie Kreiger

For the Fish Tacos:
2 6 oz fillets of white fish, like halibut, tilapia, etc
3 tbsp olive oil
juice of 1 lime
salt and pepper
1 onion, sliced thinly
1/2 cup greek yogurt
2 tsp chopped chipotles in adobo
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
whole wheat tortillas
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
cilantro
avocado-tomatillo salsa

Marinate the fish in 2 tbsp olive oil, lime juice, and salt and pepper for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a nonstick pan, saute the onions in 1 tbsp olive oil on medium low for 15 minutes to caramelize. In a small bowl, mix the yogurt, chipotles and 1 tbsp EVOO, tasting and adding more chipotle if not smoky and spicy enough for you. Put the fish in to broil for ten minutes on each side. When there's a few minutes left on the fish, warm the tortillas in skillet or toaster to brown slightly. When the fish is done, remove to a plate and flake. You're ready to dig in!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was worth a try. We really liked them. I'm a fish lover anyway - but my hubby liked them and he is somewhat picky about fish.

Anonymous said...

I agree they were not the best fish tacos we've ever tasted, but certainly good enough considering the ease and fat content.

Thank you for trying them with us!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for trying these with me this week, sorry they were not your favorite. They can't all be winners :)

Jennifer said...

This was my first fish taco and it was pretty good. I added avocado and tomatoes and they definitely jazzed up what would have been a somewhat bland taco. I did like the chipotle cream sauce though.

Did you eat? You eat now!