1. LeeksThey are so good, and in season now that it's winter.
My favorite is to saute with garlic and a little oil for about 5 minutes, then add a scoop of dijon mustard and a squirt of lemon juice. If you have some greens, i.e. chard, spinach, throw that in too. Mmm.
2. Fingerling Potatoes
I always thought people who bought these were idiots, because potatoes shouldn't cost $5.99/lb. Then I saw them at the farmer's market, where they were $1. Farmer Bob said they don't pack well, so they are 'spensive at the Safeway.They are small enough to roast whole and not take a year, and keeping them intact in their skins seals the moisture in(at least I think so).
I adore them tossed with olive oil and salt, then roasted at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes.
3. Plain Yogurt
The greek style (e.g. Fage) is cool, but the regular kind works too for a different, thinner version. Swirl in a flavor booster and you have an amazing sauce that livens up roast veggies, eggs, salad, fish, lentils, really anything, the options are endless. My favorite swirl-in additions are:
-smoked paprika (got the idea here http://www.alwaysorderdessert.com/2009/01/split-pea-soup-w-smoky-garlic-yogurt.html)
-pureed roasted red peppers (or any chile really, poblanos rock)
-cukes, herbs and garlic (for traditional tzatiki)
-turmeric, cumin and lime
-chipotles in adobo
4. Fennel Seeds
You know, the seeds they give you at the end of the meal at Indian restaurants? They are a good substitute for dessert when you need a little something. They are good with tea, especially if you have a little candied ginger lying around too.
But how I love them is in salad - get this - embedded into goat cheese (or feta if you are not depriving yourself as I am). Really good with a orangey vinaigrette and bitter greens. I think I invented this.
5. Lentils
Ok, I have always loved lentils, but I do now more than ever. I have perfected 3 different kinds of lentil soup. Though it may be impossible to make bad lentil soup.

No comments:
Post a Comment