Sunday, November 9, 2008

Greek Muff

Usually I prefer fruity (fruited?) muffins but now that berry season is over, these are my new favorite winter ones. This is my kind of baking recipe, no electric mixer or goddamn creaming of butter or Frankenstein yeast involved, just buttermilk, which I swear is magic, and I hear is low fat. From Nigella Lawson, hence the weird quantities, they're converted from metric.

Baklava Muffins
makes 12

Mix together for the filling:
1/2 cup chopped nuts (such as walnuts, pecans, almonds)
3 T melted butter
1 1/2 teaspoon cinammon
1/3 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 400, and line a 12-er muffin pan with paper liners
Whisk together the wet:

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
1 egg
3 tablespoon melted butter

Sift together the dry:
1 cup plus 7 tablespoon flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar

Combine mojados y secos gently until just barely combined. Fill each muffin cup 1/3 way full with batter, then scoop in 1 teaspoon of the nut filling, then top with more batter. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown on top.

No comments:

Did you eat? You eat now!