I am doing a cookbook of the month thing with Chowhound, and this month is Molto Italiano by Mario Batali. I'm letting J pick the recipes to start with, so I'll have to wait a for a new audience before attempting Cuttlefish with Chickpeas or Braised Rabbit. Some of you expressed an interest in cooking along with me, so I'll post the adapted recipes here.
Shrimp Fra Diavolo
adapted from Molto Italiano by Mario Batali
makes 2-3 servings
For the sauce:
olive oil
1/2 onion, diced finely
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 branches(stalks?) fresh thyme
1/2 carrot, grated or shredded (what's the diff?)
28 oz can diced tomatoes
Saute onion and garlic on medium/med low heat in olive oil until soft and golden, about 10 minutes. Add thyme and carrot, cook another 5 minutes or so. Add tomatoes (including juice), bring to boil and lower to a simmer (uncovered)for 30 minutes or until soft and soupy and flavors have melded. While it simmers, prep this stuff and put a pot of water on to boil for your pasta of choice.
1/2 lb. peeled and deveined largish shrimp (or more if you are really shrimpy)
1 cup dry white wine
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 red jalepenos, seeded removed and minced
2 t red pepper flakes (buy new ones, they are like 50 cents at the hispanic market and I know yours are 4 years old and not spicy anymore)
Hopefully the sauce is done by now, you will need it right away, and don't forget to remove the thyme sticks, the leaves will have fallen off. Saute garlic and chiles on medium/med-low for 3 minutes, add wine, pepper flakes, and the sauce you just made. Let it simmer for 5 minutes or so, and when you are 5 minutes away from serving, throw in the shrimp, bury them in the sauce and cook for just 5 minutes or they'll get rubbery. Serve on top of your pasta and garnish with fresh basil, grated parm and a drizzle of extra virgin if you so desire.
My notes: It was pretty good. Very spicy, good garlic and wine flavor. J loved it and said it was one of the best things I've ever cooked, but I think he was just starving after smelling it cook for so long. I used supermarket shrimp so I can't really judge it as meant to be made. Using thyme in the sauce was new for me, but I think I'll start doing that all the time. I think I'll make this again without the shrimp for sure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Did you eat? You eat now!
1 comment:
what's this Cookbook of the MOnth thing? I wanna play!
Post a Comment