As I am tired of throwing away 1/2 bunches of parsley and cilantro that go unused and rot, this weekend I threw together the scrap herbs (cilantro, arugula, dill, parsley) lingering around my fridge to make a really good sauce verte/pesto type concoction. I've been eating it all weekend on bread, salad, meat, potatoes and eggs. Plus I feel (hope) that it will last virtually indefinitely because it's suspended in oil and vinegar and salt (?). Anyway, here's what I did.
Bunches of random herbs (total about 3/4 cup)
1 small clove garlic
zest of 1 lemon
1/3 cup olive oil
tablespoon of red wine vinegar
salt and pepper
Chop everything coarsely and throw it all into the mini chopper.
Pulse til smooth.
Within the last 24 hours, I've had it in a great sandwich of french bread, pesto, tomato and Havarti for lunch, added it to some tuna and greens for a salad last night, and mixed it into my scrambled eggs for an omelette this morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment